An elevated Body Mass Index (Obesity) is becoming a more common medical issue for children. Some of the many causes of childhood obesity include genetic tendencies, inactivity and dietary choices.
At Holly Springs Pediatrics, we have a Healthy Lifestyles Program to help improve your child’s health.
If your child has a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 95%, which can be determined at his routine yearly appointments, we recommend the following;
Accurate weight measurements every 6 months to discuss management plans to make changes to your child’s diet or lifestyle.
Please fill out our lifestyles questionnaire prior to each Healthy Lifestyles appointment.
We focus on 6 areas of your child’s life that we call 5-4-3-2-1-0.
- Eat more than 5 fruits or vegetable every day.
- Eat at least 4 “family meals” per week.
- Do not skip more than 3 meals per week, especially breakfast.
- Do not watch more than 2 hours of television, computers or video games per day.
- At least one hour of exercise per day (5 times per week).
- 0 servings of fruit juice or soft drinks per day.
Please visit the following links for further Healthy Lifestyles education
Eat smart, move more www.myeatsmartmovemore.com
Asthma is one of the most common chronic medical conditions in children. Many children with asthma miss out on school, sports, and numerous other activities.
However, it is a GOAL of asthma management that these children do anything that a child without asthma can.
It is IMPORTANT for family members to learn how to identify and avoid asthma and allergen triggers, recognize and prevent asthma attacks, understand medications, and help manage asthma at home.